Sport Climbing joins the Pan Am Games in 2023!
The 2024 Paris Olympic Qualification Pathway, as presented by the IFSC, includes Continental Qualifying events. For Canadian Athletes, this opportunity will happen at the 2023 Pan American Games to be held October 20-NOvember 5 in Santiago, CHI.
Canada can qualify/select up to 6 women and 6 men (3 x Speed, 3 x Combined B&L for each gender). The qualification process and selection procedures of Climbing Escalade Canada (CEC) for determining these athletes are outlined in this International Nomination Process document.
Summary of Santiago 2023 qualifying pathways:
The numbers below are the total number of athletes who will qualify through each pathway not the number from each country. There is a maximum allowable quota of 3 athletes per National Olympic Committee (NOC) per discipline/ gender category (i.e., Canada is allowed a maximum of 3 athletes in women’s speed). This is not a guaranteed quota per country (athletes must meet qualification criteria).
- Pathway #1 – IFSC World Rankings (CUWR) and 2023 World Championships
- 13 Men – Speed
- 13 Women – Speed
- 16 Men – Combined (B&L)
- 16 Women – Combined (B&L)
- Pathway #2 – Qualification Event
- 2 Men – Speed
- 2 Women – Speed
- 3 Men – Combined (B&L)
- 3 Women – Combined (B&L)
In order to be eligible to compete at the Santiago 2023 Pan American Games, athletes must meet the following requirements:
- Be a registered member of Climbing Escalade Canada and a member in good standing.
- Athletes must have signed the 2022-2023 CEC Athlete Agreement.
- Must acknowledge in a prescribed form that he or she is aware of and agrees to be bound by Climbing Escalade Canada’s Rules of Conduct /Code of Conduct for members of National Teams.
- Be born before 1 January 2008
- Accept nomination to the team by the deadline that has been specified by Climbing Canada.
- Maintain eligibility in accordance with the IOC and IFSC guidelines for athlete eligibility within the sport.
- Sign, submit, and comply with the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) Athlete Agreement and Santiago 2023 Pan American Games Conditions of Participation form no later than September 15, 2023. Where athlete is under the age of 19 years, the parent or guardian must also sign these agreements
- Athletes’ passports must not expire on or before May 5 , 2024.
- Comply in all respects with the Anti-Doping Rules of the IFSC, the Canadian Anti-Doping Program (“CADP”) and the Anti-Doping Rules of any other Anti-Doping Organization that has authority over them and must not be serving a period of ineligibility for an anti-doping rule violation.
- Comply with CEC, COC, Pan Am Sports and Host Country COVID vaccination requirements and policies.
- Not be subject to any suspension or disqualification imposed by Climbing Canada or any other authority that has jurisdiction over them.
- Hold a valid International license issued by the IFSC for the Olympic Games year at the date of the final entries deadline.
- Have participated in at least one (1) of the events in the Pan American Games Qualification Pathway (as listed above).
Questions about this document and process should be directed to Andrew Wilson: email@example.com